Book Room [ View Interactive Version ]
The Book Room and adjacent annex held Jefferson's library, which at its largest consisted of more than 6,700 volumes. During the war of 1812, the British burned the U.S. Capitol and the congressional library. In 1815, Jefferson, by then greatly in debt, sold his library to the nation, and it became the nucleus of the present Library of Congress. The room was part of a "suite" of private rooms used by Jefferson, comprised of the Library, the Southeast Portico (Greenhouse), the Cabinet, and Jefferson's Bedchamber. The room is a partial octagon, a favored architectural shape for Jefferson.