Excavation of the Stewart-Watkins House in the 1980s

Stewart-Watkins House View Interactive Version ]

This house was first built for the blacksmith William Stewart, who lived here with his family from 1801 until 1807, when he was let go by Jefferson, most likely for repeated drunkenness. From 1809 to 1810, the house was occupied by the family of Elisha Watkins, who worked for Jefferson for two years as a superintendent of Monticello's carpenters.