Fish Pond [ View Interactive Version ]
In addition to being highly decorative, the fish pond near the house was a useful holding place for fish caught in the Rivanna River and nearby streams until needed for meals. Other holding ponds were located elsewhere on the plantation and were specifically named for the type of fish they held. In 1814 Jefferson recorded the damage done by a small flood to the "chub" and the "carp" ponds. In 1819, he noted "the uppermost pond is for eels."