South Pavilion with Kitchen [ View Interactive Version ]
The South Pavilion was the first brick building completed as part Jefferson's plans for the Monticello mountaintop. It is a two-story structure built into the hillside. Its lower level originally contained a kitchen that opened onto a yard extending down slope to Mulberry Row. In 1772, Jefferson and his new wife Martha lived in the small, plastered room on the second floor of the South Pavilion until the main house was complete enough to inhabit. Later that year, their eldest daughter, Martha, was born here. In 1808, the pavilion was reworked in accordance with Jefferson's revised design for Monticello.