North Pavilion from the North Terrace

North Pavilion View Interactive Version ]

In contrast to the South Pavilion, which was one of the first buildings constructed on the mountaintop, the North Pavilion was not completed until after 1800 when the North Dependencies were also being constructed. Its upper floor was used for a time by Jefferson's son-in-law, Thomas Mann Randolph, as a study. What function lower room had remains uncertain, though there is evidence to suggest that it was a storeroom, a wash house, or a "bathing room" that Jefferson hoped to create.


Related Materials