Blacksmith's Shop - Building d [ View Interactive Version ]
A blacksmith shop was built here about 1793. Here Isaac Jefferson, Smith George, Moses Hern, and Joseph Fossett shoed horses; repaired plows, hoes, and gun parts; and made the iron portions of the carriages Jefferson designed. Neighboring farmers also brought work to the shop; the blacksmiths received a small percentage of the profits. In 1794 Jefferson added a nailmaking operation, with as many as 14 male slaves, ages 10 to 16, hammering nail rod into nails.