Building E, Stone Workman's House/Weaver's Cottage

Stone House - Building E View Interactive Version ]

This stone building (today attached to offices and the Museum Shop) was built in the 1770s to house white workmen hired to lay brick and make woodwork for the first Monticello. After a period of occupation by enslaved house servants, a new set of joiners and masons took up residence in the 1790s while Monticello was remodeled. The building is believed to have been altered around 1810 when it became a site of textile operations.


Related Materials