Stewart's Shop View Interactive Version ]

William Stewart was a blacksmith whom Jefferson hired in 1801. Though he had a reputation as a periodic and excessive drunk, his skills were evidently well thought of by Jefferson who had a special shop built for him apart from the blacksmith shop on Mulberry Row. Stewart and his family lived in a dwelling on the Third Roundabout until 1807, when he was apparently fired by Jefferson because of his drunkenness.