Franklin's Field [ View Interactive Version ]
Franklin's Field was one of the fields within the Tufton quarter farm. In 1796 Jefferson starting using this field to grow grain. As part of an agreement with John H. Craven, who leased Tufton from 1801-1809, Franklin's field was to be planted in a five-year rotation with wheat, clover, peas, wheat, and corn.
By 1816, Jefferson appears to have renamed the field the Barn Field, which was one of six fields at Tufton to be planted in a seven-year crop rotation scheme.