Southwest Vineyard [ View Interactive Version ]
In 1802 Jefferson recorded in his Garden Book the planting of European varieties in a "S.W. Vineyard." The location of this previously unspecified vineyard is identified on an orchard and garden plan dating from about 1811. This 16,000-foot area was separated from the northeast vineyard by the berry squares. The first plantings here included vines of "Burgundy," "Bordeaux," and "Champagne" grapes as well as those of "Cape of good hope." The Southwest Vineyard was replanted in 1993 entirely with the Sangiovese grape, a variety documented by Jefferson in 1807 and the principal ingredient of Chianti. Several vintages have been made with harvests from this vineyard and sold on site as the Monticello Sangiovese.