New Nursery [ View Interactive Version ]
The new nursery, first mentioned in 1783, was an extension of the northeast end of the vegetable garden near the stable. In 1810 Jefferson described the arrangement of the new nursery into four-foot-wide terraces, each of which was assigned a number. That year, Jefferson listed twelve such terraces, each of which was assigned a particular type of plant, and recorded planting 193 nuts, 143 apple tree grafts and cuttings, and 119 peach and plumb stones. Over the next few years at least seven more terraces were added.