River Field [ View Interactive Version ]
In 1796 Jefferson recorded in his Farm Book that forty acres within the "Riverfield" yielded 65 stacks [of wheat] and noted the use of a threshing machine there later that same year. In 1809, he drew its boundaries and listed it as one of three fields in a crop-rotation scheme that called for one field "for half corn, half oats, peas, or millet. one for wheat, 60 [acres]. and one for clover 60 [acres]." By 1816, the "Riverfield" seems to have be renamed the "Cooper's" field, which was one of six fields to be listed as part of seven-year crop-rotation scheme on the Monticello home farm.