Second Roundabout [ View Interactive Version ]
Although it is not known exactly when the Second Roundabout was constructed, Jefferson first mentions it in his Garden Book in an entry for March 30, 1782. At the time he calculated its circumference as 4,444.4 feet or .84 of a mile, but another survey dated ca. 1808-1809 lists it as 1.049 miles.
The Second Roundabout has not been fully restored, but certain sections on the north side of the mountain through the Grove are very clear and open to the public. They are sometimes used today in natural history walks conducted by the Thomas Jefferson Foundation as part of its Saturday in the Gardens series.